Falling Snow
Weekly news
We want to hear from you! Go to the 'General' section and say what you want to say. Start a new topic if you wish.
Similar topics
    Who is online?
    In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 50 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:00 pm
    Latest topics
    » The Missing Constellation
    Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:44 am by Evan

» y helo, it is i, tito
    Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:44 am by Evan

» Sup, I'm Evan.
    Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:26 am by Evan

» I am the best waifu.
    Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:26 am by MasterDudex5

» add me on skype and read me complain about random desu.
    Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:46 am by MasterDudex5

» Spam Posting/Reviving Dead Threads
    Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:06 am by L

» What Movie Does Nightmare Want to Watch This Spring?
    Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:36 pm by L

» You know what to do if it happens.
    Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:34 pm by L

» STR8 IS BACK
    Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:02 pm by Luck

Statistics
    We have 490 registered users
    The newest registered user is Poisonberries

Our users have posted a total of 15557 messages in 1329 subjects
    Our awesome Affiliates!

Taboo and Philosophy

Go down

Taboo and Philosophy

Post by Evan on Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:29 am

Hello everyone. I've decided to write some things that I believe, and think about regularly. First of all, this is not designed to scapegoat, harm, or annoy anyone. It's designed for a well mannered, respectable discussion about the topic at hand. I would ask that anyone who plans to reply to the post please read the entire topic before posting. Also, if you intend to post, use propper grammar. If I see someone typing like a handicapped 8 year old, I will delete your post and ask you to learn to spell before addressing this. I just believe that what you say can get you in serious trouble, and typing poorly doesn't help your case in an arguement.

One final thing. Do not hate each other on this topic. If I see someone saying something along the lines of "Gays don't have rights." or "Atheists are all going to hell." Out of context in a discussion, I will ask that you stop posting immediately. It's rude, and not in the spirit of what I'm trying to do here. I would like opinions, but flaming will not be tolerated. I'm not forcing my views on you, I would just like some discussion upon the subjects I bring up. Without further adieu, lets get started.

Topic #1: Religion

I will be focussing on mainly Christianity and Atheism, as they tend to be the two butting heads the most in my world.

-

Religion is a very interesting thing. It is both amazing, and horrid. Amazing, as in it forms communities and unites people under one common goal to better themselves and society. Horrid, as it has a tendancy to push people down, and if they aren't from your faith, they are immediately sinners.

First, lets focus on the positives. Religion was created to explain things that couldn't be naturally explained during that time. For instance, people of the Pagan (Ancient Greek) faith believed that Prometheus stole fire from the gods and brought it down to the common people. In reaction, Zues chained him to a rock. His liver was then torn out and eaten by an eagle every day, and each day his liver grew back. Hence, fire was explained. Thunderstorms were commonly believed to be the wrath of the Gods. This is not to say that all of the effects of religion were bad. The Catholic-Christian era during Roman times began the Renaissance, in which many of todays famed artists like Michaelangelo or Leonardo DiVinci. It was the time of the arts, and though it put a hold on logical science (also one of DiVinci's strong points), it was one of the most amazing times for artists to create ever-lasting classics. On that could be refrenced was the Mona Lisa, or the Last Supper. One could even connect the formation of the United States as a product of religious tension. For after the Othordox Catholic Church in Rome exiled the Protestants, they had to flee to some where. In essence, the North American continent was their refuge from prosecution.

However, also alot of very, very bad things spawned from the era of the Catholic-Christian Era. The Crusades, some of the bloodiest wars in all of history were an effect from this. Inevitably, wars have a tendancy to start from religion. You could look at Nine Eleven. Al Queda's main purpose was to expunge the invaders of their Muslim homelands. In other words, they were trying to get the U.S. out of their religious sanctum. They felt the need to punish us on our actions. Another area where religion is also responsable.

On more recent terms, Christianity has gained itself a poor reputation. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the Bible, it says "Love thy neighbor as thy brother." In an ever changing world, your piers are essentially your neighbors. So why are people of different faith 'exiled', or frowned upon, and told they're going to Hell. Why are homosexuals rebelled against? The Bible preaches unity and to love your piers and coworkers as if they were your brothers and sisters. But why are so many religious groups using the Bible as a weapon? Why has something so holy, so crucial to a faith become something to judge one another with? I don't believe it's religion itself. I believe it is the ignorant people who can't accept something different. Can't accept other peoples lifestyles, or their choices, or sexuality, or faith.

Yet again, correct me if I'm wrong. I believe there is a passage in the Bible speaking of a day of Judgement. When God will come down from the heavens and judge you on the deeds you have done in your life.

And this is where it gets me annoyed. This is what people ignore. People seem to flaunt that if your not a Christian, your going to Hell. But it clearly states that you are not judged on your faith, but on your actions. In all honesty, everyone will percieve the Bible, it's contents, and everything about religion in their own way. But if they interfere with another person's life, because 'God' says it isn't right, because 'God' will make you burn in hell? They are in no way able to justify what they are doing as positive to their faith, or each other. As peers, friends, or family. By telling someone their beliefs are wrong, your become the ultimate hypocrite. In that situation, the Bible and your life becomes something comparable to a flintlock pistol. You get one shot. If you doing it wrong, it blows up in your face. If you do it right, you pull the trigger.

Notes: I am not by any means calling your faith wrong. But in today's day and age, it seems that religion is one of societies main problems. People like the Westburo Baptist Church, who go to protest soldiers funerals digust me. Their pure ignorance is almost stupidly funny.

Every day you hear about some church going and protesting a gay rights event, or something of the sort. Why? They never did anything to harm them. If they're attempting to convert them, I'd just like to say, your doing it wrong.

Now that my 'rant' is done, I'd like to thank you all for reading. I'll hope to update with more topics in the future. If you guys would like to leave suggestions, please do. I already have a few in mind, but it's always nice to have more.

Thanks.

Signature's courtesy of Jirachi and Qualna.
    http://vocaroo.com/i/s0fjvoWcANfq
    Evan
    War Veterans
    War Veterans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Taboo and Philosophy

Post by Eduardo on Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:51 am

Interesting something like this was brought down. Evan, watch this, you'll find it interesting: Zeitigeist, The Greatest Story Ever Told. You can find it on youtube easily. It discuss some topics about Religion and where many things come from.
    Eduardo
    Dream
    Dream

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eduardo on Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:57 am

Just to state: just watch that video if you have an open mind capable of accepting strong facts. That video has changed many people's way of see Religion.
    Eduardo
    Dream
    Dream

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by buckthefuffalo on Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:38 pm

Well said, Evan. However, I'd like to point out a few things.

About being judged on your actions rather than faith in Christianity, well, you are judged upon both. You have to have faith in Christ and the Christian God, and you also have to have led a life in accordance with the Bible, and repent for your sins as indicated by the Bible.

Also, it should be noted that the Westburo Baptist Church is an incredibly small minority that even the rest of the Christian world is upset with. They are the extremists, and therefore get the most publicity, which just makes the other Christians look bad. They are basically Christianity's equivalent of the Islamic terrorists. Neither should be seen as representative of their respective religion in any way. Not saying that you implied some sort of statement that all Christians are like the Westburos, but I just wanted to make that clear for those that wouldn't know otherwise.

This is coming from a borderline Agnostic, by the way.

Sig made by an alpaca.

Amoongus OP
    buckthefuffalo
    Dream
    Dream

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Qualna on Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:52 pm

Finally a topic I can respond to. If I may quote Confucius (which I've been doing a lot lately), he once said that "I like your God, but I don't like Christians." The significance of that saying is that religion can teach morals and values which is good, however he doesn't like the people that try to shove their faith down the throats of others. People are entitled to their own beliefs, and when I was younger I thought about things like this. I used to think that when you die, the lights just go out, you lose consciousness, and it was as if you were never born, or that you'd relive the same life over again without any memory of it. I used to wonder why our eyes could only see what was in front of us and why it was anatomically impossible to see things in a perfect 360 degrees. But before I ramble off even further, I'd like to say that if you're truly a good person, why should it matter what you believe in? Just my thoughts is all.

War Veterans

View user profile https://www.youtube.com/acheronpride

Back to top Go down

Post by buckthefuffalo on Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:36 pm

Qualna wrote:Finally a topic I can respond to. If I may quote Confucius (which I've been doing a lot lately), he once said that "I like your God, but I don't like Christians." The significance of that saying is that religion can teach morals and values which is good, however he doesn't like the people that try to shove their faith down the throats of others. People are entitled to their own beliefs, and when I was younger I thought about things like this. I used to think that when you die, the lights just go out, you lose consciousness, and it was as if you were never born, or that you'd relive the same life over again without any memory of it. I used to wonder why our eyes could only see what was in front of us and why it was anatomically impossible to see things in a perfect 360 degrees. But before I ramble off even further, I'd like to say that if you're truly a good person, why should it matter what you believe in? Just my thoughts is all.

You make some good points, Qulana, and I agree with what you're saying. To answer your question though, if I recall correctly, most religions emphasize to convert others, so I think that the people who do not convert (basically, aren't a part of their religion and won't convert), are seen as a threat to their religion of some sort, just because they don't agree with what they believe in. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but in the Crusades, non-Christain captives were forced to convert to Christianity, lest they be killed. Albeit an extreme example, there's still obviously that tension today between religious parties. Everyone thinks "I'm right, you're wrong", which causes conflict.

So long story short, it shouldn't matter, but if that person is of a different religion or has a lack thereof, it does to many simply because they don't, and won't ever, hold the same belief.

Sig made by an alpaca.

Amoongus OP
    buckthefuffalo
    Dream
    Dream

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Evan on Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:26 pm

Buck, during the Crusades, Muslims were commonly offered the right to convert or die. The Jews, however, were predominantly slaughtered, due to the Christian belief that they killed their Lord, Jesus Christ, who ironically, was Jewish.

Signature's courtesy of Jirachi and Qualna.
    http://vocaroo.com/i/s0fjvoWcANfq
    Evan
    War Veterans
    War Veterans

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by buckthefuffalo on Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:33 pm

Evan wrote:Buck, during the Crusades, Muslims were commonly offered the right to convert or die. The Jews, however, were predominantly slaughtered, due to the Christian belief that they killed their Lord, Jesus Christ, who ironically, was Jewish.
    Ah, right. Okay then. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sig made by an alpaca.

Amoongus OP
    buckthefuffalo
    Dream
    Dream

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down